Thursday, October 3, 2013

Week 6: Start of my Grocery Store Rotation and Recipes


This week was the start of my rotation with a local grocery store. Grocery store as part of a dietetic internship rotation?? Why YES! Giant Eagle (GE) employs registered dietitians for in-store services such as nutrition counseling, diabetes management and weight loss classes, in aisle store tours, recipe creations, and more! Normally you don't picture a dietitian in the grocery store but the concept and application in GE is awesome! I've been in several different stores with different dietitians shadowing their consults, setting up dietitian's pick on select foods items, organizing recipes, and working healths fairs. I have had so much fun so far and look forward to the agenda at the corporate office tomorrow. Followed by another week of the rotation next week.
Can't beat Steak w/ Blue Cheese after a pretty good brick workout and 11 hour shift :)
Now, onto food! Shopping is a snap when your working in a grocery store all day! After a brick workout in the crack of dawn (brick is a term for a workout paired together like bike/run), I felt great. Normally, I have been struggling from my perspective to get my training sessions in but with my Coach's encouraging emails and getting into the swing of things, I'm starting to get back the swag for workout mode. Even though the days have been packed back to back, I have to think ahead with the next meal or workout made fueled from the "next meal". By getting my clothes or bike set up, I set myself up to get up or get out the door!


Now, I love food. In all shapes and forms.....and I felt like steak. So steak it was tonight in another quick meal. The bf cooked the meat, I steamed the zucchini and the roasted red potatoes. While the lovely aromas of the food prep filled the kitchen, meal prep #1 and #2 commenced.

Tomorrow's Breakfast overnight oats and Lunch: PB&J, chz stick, pretzels, mixed nuts and dried green beans, applesauce, peach, and cranberry juice
Ever tried overnight oats???? Well...they are amazing and have so many different combos of flavor to them. The best part is that they are awesome grab-and-go and/or after a work out. You can use any king of liquid or yogurt. I use greek yogurt with a dash of milk.  I added 2/3 cups oats with a little honey and my FAV maple flavored almond butter with a final touch of fresh cut strawberries. A dash of cinnamon and milk help add flavor and make sure all the oats are soaked. Now the almond butter is delish with only 4 ingredients: raw almonds, maple sugar, palm oil, and sea salt. Hope you enjoy this quick recipe :). How can this recipe get any better when you have extra protein, calcium, healthy fats, serving of fruit, grab-n-go, whole grain.....its super easy! I plan to grab this item for a great recovery meal after a morning swim as I rush to my rotation.


Overnight Oats Recipe

 Ingredients
  • 1/3-2/3 oats
  • 5.3 oz plain greek yogurt
  • several strawberries or other berries (frozen work well too!)
  • any other mixtures such as nut butters, granola and nuts (add in morning)
  • dash of milk
  • touch of cinommon
Directions: mix yogurt and oats. Add and stir other fixings. Leave in fridge over night but don't forget to grab it in the morning!

I'll leave you with your dog pic of the week :)

Open Water at Moraine State Park in early September